If you follow me on Instagram you are probably aware of my obsession with mushrooms! I have to stop myself from having them with every meal it’s that bad!
Anyway I have been wanting to make a mushroom risotto for a while and I’ve finally got round to experimenting in the kitchen and came up with this creamy vegan mushroom Risotto! This is actually a really simple recipe you just need some patients when it comes to cooking the rice, its one you can’t take your eyes off for too long.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil for frying
- 1 large red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 200g Closed Cup Mushrooms
- 200g Chestnut Mushrooms
- 200g Wholegrain Rice
- 1L Vegetable Stock
- 50ml Oat Milk (Or any plantbased milk)
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Handful of fresh Thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley to garnish.
– Heat up the olive oil in a frying pan, once hot fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
– Add both lots of mushrooms and cook until softened then transfer all to a bowl and set aside for later.
– Add the rice to the pan and fry for a minute or so before adding a small amount of the stock. Let the rice soak the stock up before adding more. Keep adding water bit by bit until the rice is nearly cooked and the water is absorbed.
– Once the rice is near enough cooked add the oat milk and the nutritional yeast and simmer until it has absorbed. (You may still need to add a little more stock if the rice isn’t quite cooked after this)
– Add the mushrooms, onions and garlic back into the pan and stir thoroughly. Add salt, pepper and thyme to taste.
– Once mixed it is ready to serve! I added some tender-stem broccoli to the side of mine.
Like I said it’s a really simple risotto to make but so delicious. The oat milk and nutritional yeast give it that extra creamy texture and taste which I enjoy. This will make 3 big portions, you may even stretch it to 4 if you’re not super greedy like me!
Please let me know if you give this mushroom risotto a try and if there are any other recipes you want me to post about?